Different skin treatments require different healing processes. From mild post-laser hair removal to more intensive care following skin resurfacing. In this article, we outline the care process following the three most common skin treatments including chemical peels, skin resurfacing, and laser hair removal.
For all laser treatments:
- During the first two days after treatment, clients should be careful to prevent further irritation of the treated area. It is generally recommended that patients should avoid strenuous exercise, spas and shaving or plucking for the first 24 hours following treatment.
- Before and after treatment, clients should apply sunscreen with a minimum SPF 30. They should also avoid sun tanning for at least 10 days and until all redness or discoloration is gone.
- Apply a cooling cream such as Aloe Vera to the treated area.
- To alleviate temporary discomfort, swelling or redness, patients may apply cold packs or take a mild pain reliever.
- As long as the skin is not broken, clients may continue wearing makeup, however it should be applied delicately and avoid excessive rubbing.
- If any treated area becomes increasingly painful or shows any signs of infection patients should contact the clinic or a health professional immediately.
Laser Hair Removal
In general, skin care after laser hair removal is very simple. Patients may experience some mild irritation following the procedure which should subside within three to five days. The Candela GentleLASE is designed to work on clients with dark hair and light skin, while the GentleYAG works best on darker skin tones. Patients should be reminded that it can take up to 4 weeks for treated hair to fall out and the following visit should be after 5 to 8 weeks.
Skin that has been exposed to chemical peels needs intense hydration to promote healthy, new skin and prevent excessive peeling, redness and dryness. Most chemical peels will leave skin feeling dry and red for up to one week following treatment, however, a noninvasive peel skin may leave skin slightly red for only a few hours. Most skin needs to be kept hydrated with a light moisturizer and makeup can be applied within 2 days.
Laser skin resurfacing for acne scarring or pigmentation can offer dramatic improvements to the skin. The Candela GentleLASE and Candela Smoothbeam provide long lasting results that are FDA approved. Care following these procedures is minimal and side-effects are rare.